Teams are now set for the 21st Annual Beavercreek Varsity Ice Hockey “Frozen Creek” Hockey Tournament November 24-26, 2017! The event will be held as in years past at the Kettering Recreation Complex 2900 Glengarry Dr, Kettering, OH 45420.
The Frozen Creek is a great way to start a high school team’s season with a full four-game weekend of hockey with comparable level teams. Participating in 2017 are host Beavercreek High School, Troy, Mason, La Salle, Dublin Scioto, and Clay. We look forward to another exciting weekend of hockey to kick off the regular season and look forward to all the team’s participation! Please contact Bill Daniels at email@example.com or 937-705-0500 for more information regarding the 2017 Frozen Creek Tournament.
Friday Nov. 24, 2017
7:10pm-8:30pm Mason vs Dublin Scioto
8:40-10:00pm Troy vs Clay
10:10pm-11:30pm Beavercreek vs La Salle
Saturday Nov. 25, 2017
11:10am-12:50pm Clay vs Dublin Scioto
1:00pm-2:40pm La Salle vs Mason
2:50pm-4:30pm Beavercreek vs Dublin Scioto
4:40pm-6:20pm Troy vs Mason
6:30pm-8:10pm Clay vs La Salle
8:20pm-10:00pm Beavercreek vs Troy
Sunday Nov. 26, 2017
10:00am-11:40am 6th vs 5th
11:50am-1:30pm 4th vs 3rd
1:40pm-3:20pm 2nd vs 1st
3:20pm-3:30pm Award Ceremony
The tournament format this year will be points awarded by period as described in the rules below.
21st Annual Frozen Creek Hockey Tournament Rules: November 24-26, 2017
TOURNAMENT RULES: The official National Federation of State High School Associations Ice Hockey Rules Book 2017 – 2018, as supplemented by Ohio High School Athletic Association Sports Regulations, shall be used in the Tournament except as noted below:
- TIME OF PLAY:
a. Games shall be of standard 15 minute stop-clock period length with a game limit of 1 hour and 30 minutes. If it appears that stopping the clock will result in exceeding the allotted game time limit, the official timer will advise both teams and the on-ice officials that a no-stop clock shall be instituted until the end of the game. No time-outs will be allowed when a no-stop clock is instituted.
b. A a one-minute rest period will be provided between periods.
- TEAM ROSTERS: For all Frozen Creek Tournament games, teams shall consist of a maximum of 20 players. Two (2) of the players must be dressed as goaltenders if a full 20-man player roster is used.
- TOURNAMENT REGISTRATION: The Coach or a Team Official must check in with the Tournament Director at least one hour prior to their first game. During Tournament Registration, each team will designate a single point of contact to interface with the Tournament Director on all tournament topics, e.g., tournament information, emergency communications, unforeseen changes to tournament operations, rule clarifications.
- PLAYER CHECK-IN: Teams must be present no later than 45 minutes prior to game time. The teams shall be allowed to warm-up for five minutes after completion of ice resurfacing from the preceding event. Teams shall be on the ice at the designated time or warm-up will be forfeited. When the official is ready to start the game, both teams shall be ready to play or a forfeit will result. Due to scheduling considerations, games may start earlier than depicted on the published schedule. Therefore, all teams must be prepared to begin their warm-up 15 minutes prior to the published game time in the event the preceding game concludes earlier than anticipated.
- PLAYER’S BENCH: Only team players and a maximum of five team officials will be permitted on the player’s bench. All players and any minors in the bench area shall wear a helmet at all times
- PENALTY BOX: Each team shall furnish one individual to supervise their players in the penalty box and maintain penalty box door closure. The individual manning the penalty box is a Game Official; therefore, this individual’s conduct while serving in this capacity shall be above reproach and exhibit the highest standard of sportsmanship.
- CAPTAIN AND ALTERNATE: The Coach or a Team Official shall provide the names of the Captain(s) and Alternate Captain(s) to the referee or official scorer prior to the start of each game.
- PROFANE LANGUAGE: Profane language will not be tolerated from any player, team official, parent, or fan. All profanity will be dealt with severely.
- UNIFORM COLORS: The HOME team shall wear either white or predominantly light colored jerseys. Where a team has only one set of jerseys, the other team will wear a contrasting color. The HOME team for each game will be posted at the tournament site.
- EQUIPMENT: All players participating in the Frozen Creek Tournament must wear equipment that meets the requirements of the National Federation of State High School Associations Ice Hockey Rules Book 2016-2017. Remember that all players must wear mouth guards and helmet straps must be fastened.
- MEDICAL ASSISTANCE: Emergency medical assistance will be in attendance at each game.
- PENALTY SUSPENSIONS:
a. Each game in the tournament counts as one game toward a penalty suspension.
b. Any Coach, Manager, or Team Official who has received a suspension shall not sit close to his/her team while the suspension is in effect.
c. Physical abuse of any official will result in a suspension from that game and all remaining games in the tournament.
- FROZEN CREEK TOURNAMENT SCORING:
Each team will be guaranteed 4 games. The 6-team tournament shall have qualifying games on day 1 and 2 and the championship day seedings are determined by accumulated points. Each game has 5 possible points available.
Tournament scoring shall be as follows:
a. One (1) point will be awarded for each period won.
b. One-half (1/2) point will be awarded for each period tied.
c. Zero (0) points will be awarded for each period lost.
d. Two (2) points will be awarded for each game won.
e. One (1) point will be awarded for each game tied.
f. Zero (0) points will be awarded for each game lost.
If the score is tied at the end of any qualifying period or game, no overtimes or shootouts will be played to determine the winner of the period or game.
In the event that two or more teams conclude the tournament with identical point totals, the following order of precedence will be used to break the tie:
- Head-to-head game score
b. Head-to-head game points
c. Won-Loss record
d. Goal Differential (goals scored minus goals allowed- max 5 per game)
e. Fewest goals allowed
- Lowest total team penalty minutes during the tournament
g. Coin toss.
- MERCY RULE: Since the score of each period played is relevant to tournament scoring and tiebreakers, there is no mercy rule in effect for the Tournament and a game’s goal differential will not lead to a change from normal stop-clock time keeping.
- PROTESTS: NO PROTESTS WILL BE PERMITTED. If, during the course of the Tournament, rules interpretations or clarifications are needed, the Tournament Director will provide the interpretation or clarification and the Tournament Director’s decision will be FINAL.
- CROW’S NEST ACCESS: Each team will be allowed a MAXIMUM of one individual in the Crow’s Nest at any time during the game in which that individual’s team is participating. Any other Crow’s Nest access is at the discretion of the Tournament Director.